'Please, no fireworks' at Bundesliga games
AFP/The Local · 19 Nov 2015, 12:14
Published: 19 Nov 2015 12:14 GMT+01:00
- Hanover 'terror plot involved several bombs' (19 Nov 15)
- Bundesliga goes ahead under tighter security (18 Nov 15)
- 'You could tell it wasn't just a firework' (16 Nov 15)
"Fireworks are essentially banned anyway because they carry major risks," Reinhard Rauball, interim president of the German Football Association, told Bild newspaper.
"Using them during the sensitive time that we currently find ourselves in would be the height of irresponsibility."
Fans of SV Werder Bremen let off fireworks in September 2015 behind a banner reading "This is football". Photo: DPA
Rauball also said he thought attackers were not targeting football specifically but trying to "get the highest amount of attention possible".
And he shrugged off fears that Germany's national team could be a target.
"Authorities in charge of security say that there are no such indications. It is very important for us to avoid intentionally or unintentionally sparking fears that play into the hands of terrorists," he said.
The German team was playing France in Paris last Friday when players and fans were shaken by the blasts of three suicide bombers outside the Stade de France that echoed through the venue.
Head coach Joachim Loew admitted that he and the team had considered dropping a planned friendly with the Netherlands on Tuesday following the attacks, but finally decided to go ahead with the game to send a clear messageof freedom.
However, the game was called off at the last minute as police said there had been serious plans to cause an explosion in the stadium.
Hamburg is meanwhile scheduled to play Borussia Dortmund Friday, the first of the weekend's Bundesliga fixtures after the Hanover bomb scare.
Dortmund fans were involved in massive controvery last November when huge numbers of fireworks were let off during their Champions League clash with Istanabul's Galatasaray.
Bayern Munich, which play host to Olympiakos Piraeus on Tuesday, have said they will tighten security.
"There will be intensive and extensive checks," said Jan-Christian Dreesen, acting chair of Bayern, who is also in charge of security.
He would not give further details, but asked spectators to expect delays during the admission process at the stadium.