VIDEO Q&A: What Brits in Germany need to know about residency after Brexit

Rachel Loxton
Rachel Loxton - [email protected] • 30 Jun, 2021 Updated Wed 30 Jun 2021 12:55 CEST
image alt text

The Local Germany's Rachel Loxton talks to Matt Bristow from the rights group British in Germany about all the important residency matters that affect UK nationals living and moving to Germany after Brexit.


For more Brexit news and content visit The Local Germany's Brexit section HERE or follow us on Twitter @TheLocalGermany.

To join or learn more about British in Germany visit their website HERE or follow them @BritsinGermany.

Click on play to watch video:

Here are the main points we address in the Q&A and where to find them in the video.

0:31 - What's the big deadline for Brits in Germany?

2:09 - What happens if you haven't reported residence by June 30th 2021?

3:52 - How should people go about reporting their residence?

5:10 - What happens if you haven't got your card or interview date by June 30th?

6:52 - How will not having the residency card affect travel?

8:50 - How are different countries dealing with Brits after Brexit?

10:40 - Why the residency card is going to make life better for Brits

12:00 - What are the benefits of permanent residency?

13:08 - Can you get permanent residence status in future?

14:01 - Are there benefits to being a permanent resident?

15:40 - What's changed for Brits who want to move to Germany?

16:15 - How will it affect people in future?

18:04 - Why getting dual citizenship is much more difficult

19:27 - More about the British in Germany group

Glossary of important German words used or talked about in the video:

1:01 - Ausländerbehörde (Foreigners Authority)

4:45 - Einschreiben (by registered mail)

5:03 - Aufenthaltsdokument-GB (the official name of the residence card for UK nationals)

7:06 - Fiktionsbescheinigung (temporary residence permit)

7:59 - Meldebescheinigung (certificate of registration)

19:04 Bundestagswahl - (federal election)


There are two organisations in Germany that are funded by the UK government (UK Nationals Support Fund, UKNSF) to support people with residence related issues:

• SSAFA - The Armed Forces Charity are funded to support all UK nationals (not just veterans) in Bremen, Hamburg, Lower Saxony and North Rhine Westphalia.

• IOM (International Organization for Migration) are funded to support all UK nationals in the 12 other Bundesländer (states).

Contact details for both can be found here:




Rachel Loxton 2021/06/30 12:55

Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also