Hungry dog sets kitchen on fire in Saxony

The Local
The Local - [email protected]
Hungry dog sets kitchen on fire in Saxony

A Great Dane accidentally caused a fire while trying to get a dog treat.


Emergency services rushed out to the home in Reichenbach, west of Zwickau in the eastern German state of Saxony, on Monday, after the alarm was raised.

According to police the dog had leaned on the kitchen stove of its owner's home to try and grab a treat from a wooden board, reported Spiegel.

But the dog accidentally turned the cooker on, which set the wooden board on fire. The flames spread to the rest of the kitchen.

When emergency services attended, firefighters managed to extinguish the blaze in the ground floor apartment before it escalated.

As a precautionary measure, paramedics treated three residents for smoke inhalation at the scene. 

The damage to the property is thought to be around €20,000, according to police.

Luckily, the dog is fine. The Great Dane got away with it, police reportedly said.


Great Dane - (die) Dogge

Kitchen stove - (der) Küchenherd

Wooden board - (das) Holzbrett

Residents/inhabitants of a house - (die) Hausbewohner

We're aiming to help our readers improve their German by translating vocabulary from some of our news stories. Did you find this article useful? Do you have any suggestions? Let us know.



Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also