SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Failed asylum seeker sentenced to 8.5 years in prison for murder amid far-right tensions

A failed asylum seeker has been sentenced to eight years and six months in prison for stabbing his 15-year-old girlfriend to death.

Failed asylum seeker sentenced to 8.5 years in prison for murder amid far-right tensions
Tributes laid out in front of the drugstore where Mia died on December 27th 2017

The sentencing in the western German town of Landau came at a time when anti-migrant protests have erupted in the eastern city of Chemnitz over the fatal stabbing of a man, allegedly by a Syrian and an Iraqi.

The judges sentenced Abdul D., who says he is from Afghanistan, for the murder and assault of the teenager called Mia, following a juvenile justice case, the court said on Monday.

The prosecution had previously demanded a prison sentence of 10 years, while the defence hoped for seven years and six months for manslaughter, reports Focus Online.  Prosecutors believe that he acted out of jealousy after she broke up with him.

The incident happened on December 27th, 2017 in the middle of a drugstore and caused nationwide horror.

Right-wing populist groups took the case as an opportunity to repeatedly protest in Kandel against the asylum policy of the federal government.

The case also fuelled the discussion about the age determination of young refugees.

After his arrival in Germany, Abdul D. was admitted and cared for as an unaccompanied minor refugee. He said he was 15-years-old at the time of the crime; however, doubts have been raised about his age.

An expert had estimated his age as between 17 and a half and 20 years old. Nevertheless, the court hearing took place behind closed doors and under juvenile penal rules.

Abdul D. arrived in Germany in April 2016 and his request for asylum was rejected on February 2017, although he was not immediately deported.

The case is one in a string of high profile crimes allegedly committed by asylum seekers that has stoked popular anger against the new arrivals and put pressure on Chancellor Angela Merkel over her liberal refugee policy.

Far-right party Alternative for Germany (AfD) has been mobilizing regular demonstrations over the killing in the small town with a population of just 9,000, as it sought to bolster its anti-migrant campaign.

At the peak of the protests, thousands marched in Kandel. But they appear to have since lost momentum.

On Saturday, a demonstration in the town attracted 350 people, local police said.

Residents of the small town frustrated by the far-right rallies also lined the demonstration route, carrying banners like “Stop hate and incitement” or “Kandel is colourful, not brown” – in reference to the Nazi's khaki uniforms, according to DPA.

Rhineland-Palatinate state premier Malu Dreyer accused the far-right of exploiting the teenager's death for political gains, saying it was “intolerable”.

“It is the hope of all of us that once the trial is over, peace will return to Kandel,” she said.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS