SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Young cyclist killed after being hit by getaway car in west Berlin

A young woman was tragically killed in Berlin's Charlottenburg district on Wednesday after a car hit her while making a getaway from an attempted robbery.

Young cyclist killed after being hit by getaway car in west Berlin
A bicycle lamp lies on the street at the corner of Kantstraße and Windscheidstraße. Photo: DPA

The getaway car crashed into the woman while she pushed her bike along the pavement in the wealthy western district. Three passengers in the car and a further three people were injured in the collision, some of them seriously.

Police confirmed on Thursday morning that the victim was just 22 years old. Medics attempted to resuscitate her, but sadly she died at the scene.

The trio in the getaway car had tried to steal tools from a Ford Transit van on the corner of Brandenburgische Straße and Westfälische Straße in the south-western district of Wilmersdorf, police report. When the suspects tried to drive away they were followed by plain-clothed officers. 

The driver first drove over a policeman who had tried to stop the car, then sped through a red light, causing a collision with two other cars. The young woman was also struck during the crash.

Even then though, the chase wasn't over, as the driver attempted to flee the scene. But police officers were able to detain him soon after. The two other men were arrested in the car.

It was also confirmed on Thursday morning that the 27-year-old driver had been under the influence of alcohol and that his accomplices – 14 and 18 years old – were injured during the incident.

Official figures released this week show that more people have died on the streets of Berlin so far in 2018 than in the whole of last year.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px ‘Helvetica Neue’; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 12.0px}
p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px ‘Helvetica Neue’; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}
span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS