Dortmund woman dies after neighbour 'deliberately blows up building'

Author thumbnail
DPA/The Local - [email protected]
Dortmund woman dies after neighbour 'deliberately blows up building'
Photo: DPA

A man was arrested at the weekend on suspicion of murder for blowing up the terraced house that he lives in. The blast left the house destroyed with one woman dead.


Reporters saw the man walking out of the destroyed house in his underpants saying “I told you so”, according to mass-market tabloid Bild. He is being investigated for murder and three counts of attempted murder. 

One woman, Karin E. (36), died in the blast, which is thought to have been caused by gas. Firemen retrieved her body from the rubble on Saturday. Three others are still injured, according to

Although the 48-year-old suspect was able to walk out of the house, lawyer Sandra Lücke, said on Sunday that “the accused is currently in an urgent, life-threatening situation.”

The police were often called to the house, as neighbours complained about the suspect's behaviour in the flat. 

There were often arguments in the house according to residents.

“Sometimes he threatened our children with a wooden sword. At other times he sent murder threats out of the blue, or said that he would blow up the house. Police were often there because he was either running riot or causing unbearable noise,” one neighbour told Bild.

Early on Friday morning, the police were called to the man’s flat because of raucous behaviour. He refused to open the door for them, and so they said they would return to the flat with a locksmith to force their way in if he didn’t quieten down. A few hours later, the house exploded. 

The man is said to have been mentally ill, and his mother supposedly often visited him to help him around the house. He was also reportedly under supervision for his condition. 

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica} span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px} span.s2 {text-decoration: underline ; letter-spacing: 0.0px}

On February 21st of this year he was taken into psychiatric care, but was released in the middle of March. 

The explosion took place on Friday morning, and ripped a large hole in the family apartment building. It destroyed the attic and both of the two upper floors of the building in the district of Hörde.

Tonnes of debris was thrown onto the street, but no pedestrians were injured.

The police are currently guarding the building against looters, as authorities start a clear-up of the building and street.

More news from North Rhine-Westphalia



Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also