Child hospitalized after father feeds her magic mushrooms
The Local · 22 Jun 2016, 16:04
Published: 22 Jun 2016 15:27 GMT+02:00
Updated: 22 Jun 2016 16:04 GMT+02:00
- Baby's Day Out: 1-year-old travels alone up Autobahn (22 Jun 16)
- Shock as German soldiers let kids play with machine guns (14 Jun 16)
The 37-year-old father had eaten mushrooms which contain the psychedelic compound psilocybin, commonly known as 'magic mushrooms.'
He then fed some of the fungi to his 12-year-old daughter who fell into a comatose state, police report.
The girl's grandmother, to whom the house belongs, found her unconscious and unresponsive. She called an ambulance, which arrived on the scene and took her granddaughter to hospital, where she had to stay.
She recovered quickly and has since been released from hospital.
Paramedics told police that the girl's father, still intoxicated from the mushrooms, denied having any hand in causing her to become unconscious.
Police warn of the dangers of using psychoactive substances, especially magic mushrooms.
It is difficult to discern how much psilocybin a mushroom contains, which means that overdoses are likely.
Police also say that repeated use of psychedelics can hugely increase tolerance, so a user will take more and more each time to achieve the same high while the side effects get worse and worse.
A drugs unit later searched the Munich house and found an assortment of psychoactive substances, such as bath salts, along with packaging materials, micro scales, and empty bags used for storing drugs.
With this evidence, police have assumed that the man is a dealer of bath salts, a synthetic drug which contains a variety of stimulants.
He has been brought before a judge and will now stand trial for the charge of providing a minor with illegal intoxicants.