New case of Ebola suspected in Germany
The Local · 4 May 2015, 09:22
Published: 04 May 2015 09:22 GMT+02:00
Updated: 04 May 2015 09:22 GMT+02:00
- Gates calls world to prepare for next Ebola (28 Jan 15)
- Ebola-ready jet prepared for take off (27 Nov 14)
- Unicef chief praises Germany's aid role (25 Nov 14)
Fire services transported the man from his home in Bochum to the University Hospital in Düsseldorf under intensive safety precautions. He is being treated in a special isolation unit, according to Reuters.
The authorities in North Rhine Westphalia have said that the case does not pose an increased threat to the wider population.
The man is said to come from Guinea, which, along with Sierra Leone and Liberia, is one of the countries most affected by the recent outbreak of the deadly virus.
The outbreak began roughly a year and a half ago and has so far taken more than 10,000 lives, the vast majority in western Africa.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) recently announced that the risk of the virus spreading into other countries has decreased.
The last case in Germany was reported in November 2014 when a Ugandan doctor was successfully treated at a hospital in Frankfurt after suffering multiple organ failures and being confined to bed for a month.