SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

‘Killer nurse’ tells court he’s sorry

A nurse who admitted to injecting patients with overdoses of heart medication to force resuscitation procedures has expressed his remorse over the deaths and harm to people in his care.

'Killer nurse' tells court he's sorry
The accused hiding his face from press photographers at his hearing. Photo: DPA

“I am truly sorry,” the 38-year-old accused told the state court in Oldenburg, adding that his crimes were “inexcusable”.

“There was excitement and a sense of expectation for what would happen,” he said when asked to explain his motivation for the crimes.

Successful revivals of patients whose hearts had stopped made him feel good, he added.

While patients' deaths were “devastating” and always left him intent on stopping his abuse of his position, he always returned to his deadly habit after the guilt “faded with time”.

He is standing trial for five cases, including three cases of murder and two attempted murders – although he has admitted to 90 separate attacks on patients, up to 30 of whom died.

Lead prosecutor Daniela Schiereck-Bohlmann said that he “treated the deaths of patients lightly,” making his guilt particularly grave.

If found guilty, the nurse may stand trial for further murders.

A special police squad is investigating more than 200 deaths during the man's service in Delmenhorst, Oldenburg and Wilhelmshaven – all towns in the Bremen area in Lower Saxony.

But he claims that he didn't harm any patients outside the Delmenhorst Clinic.

SEE ALSO: Nurse killed up to 30 patients, court hears

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

A 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard on Monday once again denied being complicit in war crimes during the Holocaust as his trial drew to a close in Germany.

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

Josef Schütz, the oldest person so far to face trial over Nazi crimes during World War II, is accused of involvement in the murders of 3,518 prisoners at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945.

The pensioner, who now lives in Brandenburg state, has pleaded innocent throughout the trial, saying he did “absolutely nothing” and was not aware of the gruesome crimes being carried out at the camp.

“I don’t know why I am here,” he said again at the close of the proceedings, his voice wavering.

Dressed in a grey shirt and pyjama bottoms and sitting in a wheelchair, Schütz insisted he had had nothing to do with the atrocities and was “telling the truth”.

READ ALSO: Ex-Nazi death camp secretary who fled trial to face court in Germany

Prosecutors say he “knowingly and willingly” participated in the crimes as a guard at the camp and are seeking to punish him with five years behind bars.

But Schütz’s lawyer, Stefan Waterkamp, said that since there were no photographs of him wearing an SS uniform, the case was based on “hints” of his possible involvement.

“As early as 1973, investigators had information about him but did not pursue him. At the time, witnesses could have been heard but now they are all dead or no longer able to speak,” Waterkamp said.

Former Nazi guard

The 101-year-old former Nazi guard covers his face at the Neuruppin courthouse. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Fabian Sommer

It would be a mistake for the court to try to “make up for the mistakes of a previous generation of judges”, the lawyer said.

Antoine Grumbach, 80, whose father died in Sachsenhausen, told AFP Schuetz “does not want to remember”, calling it “a form of defence”.

The trial was not just about “putting a centenarian in prison”, he said. It had also produced evidence that Sachsenhausen was an “experimental extermination camp”.

“All the cruellest methods were invented there and then exported,” Grumbach said.

READ ALSO: Trials of aging Nazis a ‘reminder for the present’, says German prosecutor

SHOW COMMENTS