Mother parties while baby starves to death
DPA/The Local · 14 May 2014, 09:01
Published: 14 May 2014 09:01 GMT+02:00
- Mother kills her three children with BBQ fumes (06 May 14)
- Three dead at Berlin tower block (06 May 14)
- 'Masked man' faces life for attacking millionaires (05 May 14)
The woman, Bianca N., left her daughter alone in her apartment in Soest, North Rhine-Westphalia while she went out to party last October and November.
Appearing before a court in Arnsberg on Tuesday, the 22-year-old admitted not looking after the baby for several days, but she denied the murder charge against her, as she said she didn’t intend to kill her child.
She said she only intended to go to the Halloween party in Münster last year for a few hours.
Bianca N. said she fed her child and wrapped her up before heading out. “I put her down and then forgot about her,” she told the court in a quiet voice.
At the Münster nightclub she admitted spending €300 on ecstasy and amphetamines and only remembered her daughter three days later.
When she returned to the apartment in Soest it was too late. “She was lying on the bed and was dead,” she said. Bianca N. then fled the next day to Münster and did not return for two weeks.
In the meantime the baby’s corpse was discovered by social services.
During the hearing on Tuesday she constantly stressed that she did not plan to kill her baby, as prosecutors allege.
But the presiding judge questioned her version of events. The mother reportedly told several people in the days before the baby’s death that her child had a brain tumour and was going to die.
Tests on the corpse also showed that the child had been underfed for around two weeks before her death.
The trial continues on Wednesday and a verdict is expected in July.