SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

‘Satanists’ on trial for taxi driver murder

Two Satanists went on trial in Tübingen, southern Germany, on Thursday for allegedly murdering a taxi driver by a cemetery out of satanic “bloodlust”. One reportedly believed he was a character from the Harry Potter books.

'Satanists' on trial for taxi driver murder
The court in Tübingen began hearing the case on Thursday morning. Photo: DPA

A 16-year-old, named as Jan D. and 22-year-old, Hendrik M., from Rottenburg in Baden-Württemberg, are accused of killing the 39-year-old taxi driver in Prague in June 2013.

The killing of the father-of-three, whose girlfriend was pregnant, was carried out in front of a Prague cemetery. The victim was killed with 42 blows from a wrench and a hatchet.

According to Bild newspaper the older alleged murderer thought he was the evil witch Bellatrix Lestrange from the Harry Potter books.

And prosecutors said the murder was committed out of satanic “bloodlust”.

In a statement they said: “Both accused had a keen interest in Satanism and Vampirism.”

They added they took an interest in satanic music as well as books and films about Satanism with “very violent elements”.

The two are also accused of attempting to murder a driver at a vineyard in Metzingen, Baden Württemberg, in spring 2013.

A verdict is expected on May 27th.

SEE ALSO: Man jailed for torturing girlfriend to death

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS