Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Underarm pepper spray mix-up clears club

Share this article

Underarm pepper spray mix-up clears club
Photo: DPA
16:31 CET+01:00
A German woman who mistook her pepper spray for deodorant and doused herself with it in a nightclub toilet, injuring two women and forcing the club to evacuate, could face negligent bodily harm charges.

The 20-year-old woman had nipped into the Bavarian club's toilets to freshen up late on Monday night. She reached into her friend's bag for her deodorant, but instead pulled out a canister of pepper spray.

Würzburg police told the Main Post newspaper the woman know her friend had the deodorant but did not think to check whether it was pepper spray, before letting loose on her armpits.

It immediately became clear that the spray was not what she thought though, and the irritant gas – which can be used for self defence and crowd control – spread out into the rest of the disco. Two women sustained eye injuries and had to be given medical treatment.

Staff cleared the club as quickly as they could, and police confirmed that it remained shut until the gas had cleared.

Police have opened an investigation to see whether the young woman should be charged with negligent bodily harm.

READ MORE: 'Amber' bomb bits set man's pants on fire

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement

From our sponsors

10 things you should never do in Germany

Every country has its own unique cultural dos and don'ts. You won't get a round of applause for remembering the dos, but you can get into seriously hot water for forgetting the don'ts. To help you out, here's The Local's guide to 10 things you should never do in Germany.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement