Investigation begins into fatal mine gas leak

Author thumbnail
Investigation begins into fatal mine gas leak
Grieving locals have left candles and flowers at the mine entrance. Photo: DPA

Details emerged on Thursday as an investigation was launched into the worst mining accident in Germany since 1989. Three men died in a mine in central Germany on Tuesday afternoon after deadly gas escaped into a mine shaft.


The men, named by Bild newspaper on Thursday as Jürgen K., 56, Michael R., 50, and Christoph K., 24, are thought to have suffocated after a routine controlled explosion released abnormal levels of deadly gas into the mine shaft in Unterbreizbach, Thuringia, where they had been working on Tuesday lunchtime.

A total of seven miners became trapped 700 metres below ground when an explosion to free potash salt from the rock unleashed a "shock wave" of toxic carbon dioxide which spread quickly through the mines' tunnels, said the paper.

Two of the men succeeded in escaping into a neighbouring shaft, and used the mine lift to get safely above ground. Another two fled into a nearby shelter, where they used a telephone to contact the mine rescue time. The three remaining miners were less fortunate and were discovered dead that evening by the rescue team.

A forensics team is now investigating how the men died. Confusingly, they had all been wearing small emergency packs on their backs containing enough oxygen to last for up to an hour. Currently there are two theories of what happened, the paper said.

"It could be that the shock wave was so big that it threw the men against the wall of the mine shaft and that's how they died," spokesman Michael Wudonig from mine operator K+S Potash told Bild. "But I think that's improbable."

More likely, said Wudonig, was that so much gas escaped so quickly that it overwhelmed the men. "We assume the men didn't manage to put their oxygen masks on or escape into a secure room. They probably suffocated."

Whether the incident was due to any oversight by mine operators remains unclear.

"Having a carbon dioxide leak is an everyday occurrence," said another K+S spokesman Ulrich Goebel on Tuesday. "But it is highly unusual to have such a large quantity seep out so that the gas penetrates the mine shaft and escapes above ground."

State prosecutors have launched an investigation into the incident, but have as yet not been able to reach the site of the explosion due to high concentrations of toxic gas.

“It could last a long time,” Markus Knapp, spokesman from the state prosecutors office in Meiningen. The mine will remain shut until the end of the week as mourners continue to pay their respects at the site.

READ MORE: Explosion kills three miners, four rescued

The Local/jlb

Follow us on Twitter @thelocalgermany

Like The Local Germany on Facebook


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also