There is a figure of the flagellated Christ in the centre of this church. On 14 June 1738, a peasant named Maria Lory saw tears in the eyes of the statue of Christ at the whipping post.
This miracle prompted a pilgrimage to the Scourged Saviour in Wies near Steingaden, and as the numbers of visitors grew, Dominikus Zimmermann built a remarkable place of worship between 1745 and 1754.
The church is decorated in the rococo style at its very best. Around a million people from all over the world come to the church every year, many of whom are pilgrims.
Visitors come to the Wieskirche Pilgrimage Church to look, marvel, pray, attend services, enjoy the summer concerts and, of course, for quiet contemplation in the presence of the flagellated Saviour. It has been a UNESCO-World Heritage since 1983.