SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Teen horror mask killer to serve ten years

A teenager who stabbed an elderly woman to death while wearing a "Justin the Serial Killer" latex horror mask started a ten-year prison term in Germany on Wednesday.

Teen horror mask killer to serve ten years
Photo: DPA

“It is a totally horrific, disgusting event,” the judge said when jailing him.

“It is horrendous to consider how terrified the woman must have been,” he added.

The 19-year-old man stabbed the 82-year-old woman 40 times with a knife after being left alone for several days in the family’s Bielefeld home for the first time by his mother and sister.

He was seemingly frustrated at having been rejected as a trainee paramedic and had stayed in and watched the violent horror film Saw, the court heard.

He then donned the mask, grabbed a knife and attacked the woman, who lived in the same building.

The judge said that although the man was demonstrably immature, and would thus be tried as a juvenile, he had committed murder and would have to serve a long prison sentence.

The man denied the attack, despite the physical evidence – his clothes were splattered with the woman’s blood and tissue, which could only have come from pulling the knife out, the court heard. There was also blood on the mask which was found in his flat.

The man’s defence team said there was no reason for him to do such a thing. He still has the right to appeal the sentence.

The Local/DPA/hc

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS