SHARE
COPY LINK

SEX

School child rapist jailed for six-and-a-half years

A man who broke into a Berlin primary school and raped an eight-year-old girl after threatening her with a knife and locking her in the toilet was jailed for more than six years on Friday.

School child rapist jailed for six-and-a-half years
Photo: DPA

He was convicted of rape, serious sexual assault and grievous bodily harm. The girl he attacked was attending the school where he had also been a pupil.

The 30-year-old admitted the attack on the first day of the trial, and even his own lawyers said he had committed an outrageous crime.

He said he had drunk a lot of alcohol the night before, and taken cocaine, something Judge Iris Berger said had somewhat reduced his accountability, since it had increased his aggression.

He had grabbed the girl randomly and pulled her into the toilet, threatening her with a knife before raping her and even biting her face.

“This aggression is like a red thread through your life,” she told the man, jailing him for six and a half years.

Prosecutor Andrea Läpping said he had behaved in a “brutal and ruthless fashion” towards one of the weakest members of society. “He was aware of what he was doing,” she said.

The man, who has not been identified, told the court he was ashamed of what he had done.

He was arrested nearly four weeks after the March 1 attack, which prompted parents to launch security patrols at the school.

DPA/The Local/hc

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

A 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard on Monday once again denied being complicit in war crimes during the Holocaust as his trial drew to a close in Germany.

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

Josef Schütz, the oldest person so far to face trial over Nazi crimes during World War II, is accused of involvement in the murders of 3,518 prisoners at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945.

The pensioner, who now lives in Brandenburg state, has pleaded innocent throughout the trial, saying he did “absolutely nothing” and was not aware of the gruesome crimes being carried out at the camp.

“I don’t know why I am here,” he said again at the close of the proceedings, his voice wavering.

Dressed in a grey shirt and pyjama bottoms and sitting in a wheelchair, Schütz insisted he had had nothing to do with the atrocities and was “telling the truth”.

READ ALSO: Ex-Nazi death camp secretary who fled trial to face court in Germany

Prosecutors say he “knowingly and willingly” participated in the crimes as a guard at the camp and are seeking to punish him with five years behind bars.

But Schütz’s lawyer, Stefan Waterkamp, said that since there were no photographs of him wearing an SS uniform, the case was based on “hints” of his possible involvement.

“As early as 1973, investigators had information about him but did not pursue him. At the time, witnesses could have been heard but now they are all dead or no longer able to speak,” Waterkamp said.

Former Nazi guard

The 101-year-old former Nazi guard covers his face at the Neuruppin courthouse. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Fabian Sommer

It would be a mistake for the court to try to “make up for the mistakes of a previous generation of judges”, the lawyer said.

Antoine Grumbach, 80, whose father died in Sachsenhausen, told AFP Schuetz “does not want to remember”, calling it “a form of defence”.

The trial was not just about “putting a centenarian in prison”, he said. It had also produced evidence that Sachsenhausen was an “experimental extermination camp”.

“All the cruellest methods were invented there and then exported,” Grumbach said.

READ ALSO: Trials of aging Nazis a ‘reminder for the present’, says German prosecutor

SHOW COMMENTS