SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

‘Cupboard killer’ victim ignored for ten months

A German man appeared in court on Tuesday charged with manslaughter for killing his girlfriend and leaving her body in a cupboard – where it lay undiscovered for the best part of a year.

'Cupboard killer' victim ignored for ten months
Dorena Weber. Photo: Traunstein police

As proceedings began, the accused’s lawyer told the court that his client would not be making any comment. According to a report in the Süddeutsche Zeitung, the suspect sat unmoved throughout the day.

The man, named in German media only as Andy H., is accused of killing 28-year-old Dorena Weber, and cramming her body into a cupboard which he wrapped in plastic and left in her Bavaria flat.

“He is suspected of killing her because of an array of circumstantial evidence, including a fingerprint on the plastic wrapped around the cupboard,” a spokesman for the Traunstein state prosecutor told The Local.

The woman was last seen some time between October 15 and 17, 2010, he said, and is thought to have been killed shortly after that.

The regional Münchner Merkur paper said police think he strangled her in her flat.

Her body was not discovered until August 2011 – and was so badly decomposed that no certain cause of death could be determined, the paper said.

Neighbours had previously complained about the smell and noise coming from two dogs which were left in the flat – and they were removed in November 2010. But no-one realised that Dorena was missing.

No-one even reported her missing, and it was only when her landlord took steps to evict her due to non-payment of rent that her body was found, the prosecutor spokesman said.

It was only then that her body was found, stuffed into a cupboard of the kind often mounted on kitchen walls. “It was on the floor, and wrapped in plastic,” he said.

The Local/hc

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

A 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard on Monday once again denied being complicit in war crimes during the Holocaust as his trial drew to a close in Germany.

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

Josef Schütz, the oldest person so far to face trial over Nazi crimes during World War II, is accused of involvement in the murders of 3,518 prisoners at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945.

The pensioner, who now lives in Brandenburg state, has pleaded innocent throughout the trial, saying he did “absolutely nothing” and was not aware of the gruesome crimes being carried out at the camp.

“I don’t know why I am here,” he said again at the close of the proceedings, his voice wavering.

Dressed in a grey shirt and pyjama bottoms and sitting in a wheelchair, Schütz insisted he had had nothing to do with the atrocities and was “telling the truth”.

READ ALSO: Ex-Nazi death camp secretary who fled trial to face court in Germany

Prosecutors say he “knowingly and willingly” participated in the crimes as a guard at the camp and are seeking to punish him with five years behind bars.

But Schütz’s lawyer, Stefan Waterkamp, said that since there were no photographs of him wearing an SS uniform, the case was based on “hints” of his possible involvement.

“As early as 1973, investigators had information about him but did not pursue him. At the time, witnesses could have been heard but now they are all dead or no longer able to speak,” Waterkamp said.

Former Nazi guard

The 101-year-old former Nazi guard covers his face at the Neuruppin courthouse. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Fabian Sommer

It would be a mistake for the court to try to “make up for the mistakes of a previous generation of judges”, the lawyer said.

Antoine Grumbach, 80, whose father died in Sachsenhausen, told AFP Schuetz “does not want to remember”, calling it “a form of defence”.

The trial was not just about “putting a centenarian in prison”, he said. It had also produced evidence that Sachsenhausen was an “experimental extermination camp”.

“All the cruellest methods were invented there and then exported,” Grumbach said.

READ ALSO: Trials of aging Nazis a ‘reminder for the present’, says German prosecutor

SHOW COMMENTS