SHARE
COPY LINK

SEX

Rapist admits 1,000 sex offences, gets 10 years

A Düsseldorf court on Monday sentenced a serial rapist, who had admitted to committing more than 1,000 sex offences over two decades, to 10 years behind bars.

Rapist admits 1,000 sex offences, gets 10 years
Photo: DPA

“I can only apologise to everyone,” the 46-year-old father from the Eifel region, identified as Jörg P., told the court as the two-day trial came to an end.

During the court proceedings, an expert said that P. suffered pathological sex addiction. He will serve his time in a secure psychiatric facility.

“He can then only be freed when he is deemed no longer dangerous by experts,” spokesperson for the court Martin Machalitza said.

The man, a locksmith by trade, was tried for nine rapes or attempted rapes, but during the trial confessed to more than 20 rapes and 1,000 other sex offences, mostly indecent exposure.

In many of these incidents, Jörg P. pretended he could not move his arms in a “pity ploy” to lure women to help him urinate, whereby he committed the sexual acts.

The crimes, mostly indecent exposure, occurred between 1995 and 2010 in Krefeld, Bonn, Düsseldorf, Cologne, Aachen, Venlo and Eupen, Belgium.

The accused said that he was dyslexic, and therefore got a “special kick” out of abusing well-educated women, using his tactic predominantly in university cities, targeting students, female doctors and psychologists.

Investigator Claudia Stickelbrock of the Krefeld police said P. had even committed sex crimes while on vacation with his wife and children near Lake Constance.

His wife has since filed for divorce, changing both her name and the names of their children.

“My client just wants to begin therapy as soon as possible,” his lawyer Thomas Ohm said, adding that he believed the man could be rehabilitated.

DAPD/DPA/ka

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS