SHARE
COPY LINK

SPORT

Former East German athlete wants name removed from record

Former East German sprinter Gesine Tettenborn has asked the German Athletics Federation to remove her name from Germany's 4x400m relay record after admitting to doping, according to a report.

Former East German athlete wants name removed from record
Photo: DPA

“I had become increasingly aware my name would remain forever associated with this record unless I did something,” Tettenborn told weekly magazine Der Spiegel.

“I would, in a way, feel responsible should young athletes use drugs in an effort to try and beat this record.”

Tettenborn competed under her maiden name of Walther in the East German squad which set the then-world record of 3min 15.92sec, which took three seconds off the previous mark, on June 3, 1984.

The Soviet Union squad then broke the world record at the 1988 Olympic Games, lowering the record to 3min 15.17sec.

The earlier record set by the East German squad has always been presented as a national record here, but Tettenborn wants no part of it anymore.

“It is clear that for some, I am now one of those who has dirtied the past, but I had to do this for myself,” explained the 47-year-old.

She also admitted taking doping products to prepare for the 1980 Olympic Games in Moscow, when aged just 17.

“My coach would have exploded in rage if I had said I did not want to take these pills anymore,” she said.

Another former GDR sprinter, Ines Geipel, has also made a similar step, asking the German Athletics Federation to have her name removed from the 4x100m world club record.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

UKRAINE

German football club ends partnership with Russia’s Gazprom

German football club Schalke 04 announced Monday it had prematurely ended its partnership with Russian gas giant Gazprom following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

German football club ends partnership with Russia's Gazprom

The deal between the second-tier German club and Gazprom had been due to run until 2025 with Schalke receiving around €9 million ($10 million) per year in sponsorship.

Had the Gelsenkirchen-based club won promotion back to the Bundesliga at the end of this season, the sponsorship figure would have risen to €15 million annually.

Schalke had already removed the Gazprom logo from their shirts for Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Karlsruhe.

In a statement, Schalke said their finances were “unaffected by this decision”.

“The club’s management is confident that it will be able to present a new partner in the near future.”

READ ALSO: OPINION: Germany has scuppered Nord Stream 2 but there are questions left to answer

Gazprom representative Matthias Warnig resigned from the club’s supervisory board last Thursday.

Hans-Joachim Watzke, interim president of the German Football Association (DFB), had already hinted there could be financial aid for Schalke if they split from Gazprom.

“If this requires the solidarity of other clubs in Germany to get them out of this situation, then we have to discuss how we can manage that,” Watzke told ZDF.

READ ALSO: Germany set to shut airspace to Russian planes on Sunday

SHOW COMMENTS