Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Poison gas kills two men in homemade sauna

Share this article

Poison gas kills two men in homemade sauna
Photo: DPA
11:01 CET+01:00
Two Hamburg men have died in a homemade sauna after apparently being poisoned by a carbon monoxide leak, police said Tuesday.

The naked bodies of the men showed signs of severe scalding, a fire department spokesman said, though this did not appear to be the cause of death.

The men were drunk and appeared to have fallen unconsciousness, a Hamburg police statement said. The wife of one of the men discovered the bodies.

Saunas that are gas-heated are at risk of leaking deadly carbon monoxide gas and require a special monitor to measure the gas levels. It was not clear whether the homemade sauna was equipped with such a register.

The Institute for Forensic Medicine in Hamburg is due to examine the bodies, though the police statement said there were no signs of foul play.

There have been several deaths in Germany in recent years related to saunas, usually because the heat source has sparked a house fire.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement

From our sponsors

The Swedish university where students tackle real-world problems

Ranked among the world's best young universities in the QS Top 50 Under 50, Linköping University (LiU) uses innovative learning techniques that prepare its students to tackle the challenges of tomorrow.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement