“He regrets the act deeply and cannot explain how it could come to such a black-out,” the lawyer of 18-year-old Markus S. told the Munich-based paper on his behalf.
Meanwhile his 17-year-old accomplice Sebastian L.’s lawyer said his client also expressed remorse for beating the man to death.
“I didn’t want him to die,” he told his lawyer.
Both young men are accused of murder for beating businessman Dominik B. at the Solln S-Bahn stop after he tried to protect a group of four youths who were being bullied by the two teens on the train on Saturday afternoon.
Police said that the 17- and 18-year-olds had been threatening and demanding money from a group of younger teenagers at an S-Bahn station before following them onto a train, where Dominik B. intervened.
He called police on his mobile phone and offered to leave the train with the children to make sure they were safe.
As they left the train at the Solln train station, Markus S. and Sebastian L. followed the man and attacked him. They hit and kicked Dominik S. some 22 times within just a few minutes. The children who had exited the train with the man attempted to stop the attackers unsuccessfully, according to state prosecutors. He died of his injuries in a nearby hospital a few hours later.
Police said Monday they had arrested a third suspect, 17-year-old Christoph T., for allegedly initiating threats against the group of children after they refused to give the older teens €15. He is accused of extortion. Witnesses also reported seeing him hit the group of children twice. The teen allegedly boarded a different train while his friends followed the younger children onto another – where they encountered their middle-aged victim.
“Especially disturbing about the incident is that the man did everything right,” public prosecutor Laurent Lafleur told news agency DPA on Monday.
All three of the teens in police custody have had brushes with the law in the past due to theft, assault and extortion. Two of the accused also reportedly suffer from substance addiction.