Advertisement

Chef blows off hands dabbling in 'molecular gastronomy'

AFP
AFP - [email protected]
Chef blows off hands dabbling in 'molecular gastronomy'
Photo: DPA

An experimental German chef accidentally blew off both his hands attempting to concoct a "molecular gastronomy" dish with liquid nitrogen, a newspaper report said on Monday.

Advertisement

The 24-year-old man from Stahnsdorf near Berlin somehow obtained some of the dangerous chemical and was poised to try out a new recipe from the school of molecular cooking, which aims to apply scientific processes to gastronomy.

There was an "enormous explosion," according to the Berliner Morgenpost daily. The would-be Heston Blumenthal - a leading proponent of molecular gastronomy - lost one hand in the explosion and the other was so badly injured it had to be amputated.

The man, who was staying at his girlfriend's mother's house, was rushed to hospital where his condition was described as life-threatening. He is on artifical respiration.

He claimed he was trying to fill a gas lighter, but his girlfriend said he was trying to empty a canister of liquid nitrogen.

"Criminal investigators secured the remains of a nitrogen flask, bits of clothing, flesh and bits of skin," the paper said.

More

Comments

Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also