Rescue workers brought about 400 students to safety and away from nitrous gas fumes that had leaked into the facility in Bornhöved. Police said they have not yet found the source of the leak, but explained that it usually comes from burning plastic.
“The fire department is looking for the source,” a spokesperson said.
Students and teachers complained of dizziness, itchy throats, muscle pain and headaches as the gas leaked into several buildings on the school grounds before they had to be evacuated. They were transported to local hospitals for treatment.