Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Advent candles start retirement home fire

Share this article

Advent candles start retirement home fire
Photo: DPA
10:35 CET+01:00
Advent candles caused a fire that injured 24 people Tuesday night in a retirement home in Steinach, Bavaria.

Police reported that the fire broke out in the room of a 69-year-old tenant who had left the candles lit on a holiday decoration. A night-duty nurse rescued the man, who was seriously injured.

A large group of emergency workers, consisting of the police, around 90 firemen and three doctors were called to the scene. A chain of firefighters managed to keep the fire under control and prevented a larger catastrophe, the police said. Apart from the 69-year-old and his rescuing nurse, one fireman and 21 other tenants suffered smoke poisoning. All were brought to local hospitals.

The remaining 22 tenants of the home have been moved elsewhere.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement

From our sponsors

Zagreb: Spend this summer in Croatia's vibrant capital city

Lush green parks throughout the city centre, imposing heritage buildings, real Central European cafe society and Mediterranean style hospitality. Welcome to Zagreb, Croatia's stunning capital!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement