SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

‘Neo-Nazi’ tried to kill Passau police chief

A neo-Nazi is thought to have stabbed Passau's police chief after he increased pressure against far-right groups this year, media reports said on Sunday.

'Neo-Nazi' tried to kill Passau police chief
A file photo of Alois Mannichl. Photo:DPA

Alois Mannichl, 52, was found slumped in the porch of his house in Fürstenzell near Passau, late on Saturday afternoon, having been attacked with a knife.

Local newspaper Am Sonntag reported Mannichl answered his front door to a tall skinhead at around 5:30 pm on Saturday.

The man said something along the lines of “Greetings from the national resistance,” and said, “You leftist pig cop, you won’t trample on the graves of our comrades any more,” before stabbing Mannichl in the stomach with a 12-centimetre knife.

He then threw the knife away in the garden and ran to a waiting car in the nearby street and was driven away.

Although Mannichl was seriously wounded, he was able to speak to colleagues who arrived on the scene and give them a description of the man who he said he had not seen before.

He was described as beefy, about 1.90 metres tall and with a tattoo or birthmark. His Bavarian accent had an Austrian influence in it, Mannichl said.

Mannichl was operated on in hospital and is said to be out of danger, although seriously wounded.

Investigators said they were looking for the attacker within Bavarian fascist groups.

Bavarian state interior minister Joachim Herrmann called the attack cowardly, devious and brutal at a press conference on Sunday.

He said that if the attack really have been carried out by a far-right extremist, it would indicate that neo-Nazi violence had reached a completely new dimension.

Far-right resentment in the region against the police reached a high point this July after the authorities ordered that the grave of a former neo-Nazi functionary be opened so that a Nazi flag that had been buried with the coffin, be removed.

The local far-right extremist NPD party had accused the police chief of making the group feel harassed on November 16 as they marked the defeat of Nazi Germany at the end of World War II.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS