SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Farmer who killed parents and fed neighbour to pigs loses appeal

A farmer convicted of murdering his mother and father, and then years later of feeding the body of a neighbour to his pigs has lost his appeal against a life sentence.

Farmer who killed parents and fed neighbour to pigs loses appeal
Photo:DPA

The 32-year-old from Fitzlar-Haddamar smashed his father’s head open in 2000, and four years later strangled his mother, inventing stories to explain their deaths to the authorities.

He told officials his father had been kicked in the head by a sick cow, and then later said his mother had died in her sleep.

In 2005, an elderly farm worker who died at the farm of natural causes, but the man did not report his death, rather cutting up the body and feeding it to the pigs in order to claim his pension.

The events came to light when the farmer faked a funeral of the elderly neighbour.

He told officials he was not prepared to wait until his father died naturally so he could inherit the farm, and that he did not want his mother in the house any more after he had killed his father.

He was convicted of double murder and desecration of a body at Kassel District Court earlier this year, and has now lost his appeal against the life sentence.

CRIME

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

A 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard on Monday once again denied being complicit in war crimes during the Holocaust as his trial drew to a close in Germany.

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

Josef Schütz, the oldest person so far to face trial over Nazi crimes during World War II, is accused of involvement in the murders of 3,518 prisoners at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945.

The pensioner, who now lives in Brandenburg state, has pleaded innocent throughout the trial, saying he did “absolutely nothing” and was not aware of the gruesome crimes being carried out at the camp.

“I don’t know why I am here,” he said again at the close of the proceedings, his voice wavering.

Dressed in a grey shirt and pyjama bottoms and sitting in a wheelchair, Schütz insisted he had had nothing to do with the atrocities and was “telling the truth”.

READ ALSO: Ex-Nazi death camp secretary who fled trial to face court in Germany

Prosecutors say he “knowingly and willingly” participated in the crimes as a guard at the camp and are seeking to punish him with five years behind bars.

But Schütz’s lawyer, Stefan Waterkamp, said that since there were no photographs of him wearing an SS uniform, the case was based on “hints” of his possible involvement.

“As early as 1973, investigators had information about him but did not pursue him. At the time, witnesses could have been heard but now they are all dead or no longer able to speak,” Waterkamp said.

Former Nazi guard

The 101-year-old former Nazi guard covers his face at the Neuruppin courthouse. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Fabian Sommer

It would be a mistake for the court to try to “make up for the mistakes of a previous generation of judges”, the lawyer said.

Antoine Grumbach, 80, whose father died in Sachsenhausen, told AFP Schuetz “does not want to remember”, calling it “a form of defence”.

The trial was not just about “putting a centenarian in prison”, he said. It had also produced evidence that Sachsenhausen was an “experimental extermination camp”.

“All the cruellest methods were invented there and then exported,” Grumbach said.

READ ALSO: Trials of aging Nazis a ‘reminder for the present’, says German prosecutor

SHOW COMMENTS