SHARE
COPY LINK

SEX

German singer suspected of 300 counts of child sex abuse

German New Age singer Oliver Shanti, wanted on suspicion of more than 300 counts of child sexual abuse, has been flown to Germany for remand after his arrest in Portugal last week, prosecutors in Munich said on Monday.

Police said the 59-year-old, whose given name is Ulrich Schulz, was taken to the hospital for unspecified health issues after his arrival, though he appeared to be in relatively good health, chief detective Ignaz Raab said.

“The accused was emotionally agitated,” Raab said. Investigators have said Shanti has chosen to remain silent regarding the criminal accusations.

“Police are looking for other victims,” said state prosecutor’s office spokesperson Anton Winkler in Munich. “The prosecutor’s office wants to press charges quickly.”

The Hamburg-born singer, who has been wanted since 2002, was arrested after being recognized at the German Embassy in Lisbon when he applied for a passport, which authorities believe he may have wanted to use to flee to Brazil, news agency AFP reported.

The authorities are not clear on how Shanti could have remained undetected in Portugal for so long. He was considered to be a model citizen of his village, Vila Nova de Cerveira.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS