SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

‘Child killer’ nabbed in Germany after 27 years

German police have arrested the suspected murderer of a 10-year-old Bavarian girl nearly three decades after he committed the crime.

According to the German news agency DPA, a 58-year-old man was taken into custody in the northern German state Schleswig-Holstein on Thursday. He is thought to have killed Ursula Hermann 27 years ago by putting her in a box where she suffocated to death.

A spokesman for the Bavarian state police would “neither confirm nor deny” any information regarding the arrest, but the authorities have scheduled a press conference for later on Friday.

The murder was one of the highest-profile cases to go unsolved in Germany. The 10-year-old Hermann was abducted on her way home from school on September 15, 1981. Unknown kidnappers demanded two million Deutsche marks in ransom from her parents, but soon failed to make contact.

On October 4, the girl was found dead buried alive in a wooden box in the forest. She supposedly suffered a painful death by asphyxiation due to a faulty ventilation system constructed by her abductor.

The Friday edition of the daily newspaper Augsburger Allgemeinen reported that the suspected killer once lived not far from his victim in a nearby town in Bavaria.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS