Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Afghanistan suicide bomber came from Germany

Share this article

08:56 CET+01:00
A suicide attack that killed two NATO soldiers in eastern Afghanistan earlier this week was carried out by a Turk who had come from Germany, a group that monitors Islamist websites reported Thursday.

A group named the Islamic Jihad Union posted a statement online that said one of its members was responsible for the attack on Monday, the SITE Intelligence Group said.

The man behind the attack was identified as Cuneht Ciftci, alias Saad Abu Fourkan. The statement said he had carried out “successfully a martyr operation against a military base of occupying infidels and apostate units in the Sabari Ulus Valley,” according to SITE.

The attacker used a vehicle with 4.5 tonnes of explosives and killed “at least 60 American soldiers and some 70 infidel Afghan soldiers,” the Islamic Jihad Union claimed. The group also posted photos of the attacker online.

Two NATO soldiers and two Afghan civilians were killed in Monday's suicide attack, which has been claimed by the Taliban through Afghan media, according to a information compiled from NATO sources and Afghan police. About 20 people were hurt, including 15 NATO soldiers.

The attack occurred in the Sabari district in the Khost province, which borders Pakistan. The powerful truck bomb blast struck a district government compound housing an Afghan army unit, under the protection of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement