590 paintings from Nazi art trove to go online
The Local · 15 Nov 2013, 10:22
Published: 15 Nov 2013 10:22 GMT+01:00
- Who is the recluse behind the Nazi art haul? (14 Nov 13)
- Gurlitt 'spotted heading to airport' (13 Nov 13)
- Germany releases names of first 25 looted artworks (12 Nov 13)
Authorities have already put out the names of 25 pieces onto website www.lostart.de. But they confirmed yesterday that the names of all 590 paintings thought to have been taken by the Nazis will be published next week.
"The publication on lostart.de means that the origin … of the salvaged works of art can be ascertained as swiftly and transparently as possible," said Ingeborg Berggreen-Merkel, head of the the Schwabinger Kunstfund taskforce in charge of the investigation.
The move follows last week's publication of an initial list of 25 paintings. More than 1,400 works of art were discovered in the Munich apartment of Cornelius Gurlitt, the son of a Nazi art dealer.
Referring to 80-year-old Cornelius Gurlitt who had been storing the treasures in his apartment for decades, Bavaria's justice minister Winifried Bausback told the Süddeutsche Zeitung that it was in everyone's interest to come to an "an amicable solution."
He said anyone co-operating in the return of former Jewish property or that belonging to other persecuted groups deserved "respect and recognition."
Bausback stressed that the focus was on Germany taking responsibility for Nazi crimes and that it was important to investigate the origin of the paintings "on a wide scale and with unified powers."
Officials have received countless requests from the families of those persecuted under the Nazis and have vowed to follow them all up.
Gurlitt has not hired a lawyer nor has he made any attempt to keep the paintings.
Several cultural institutions, as well as the US government and Jewish groups have called on the German government to display more transparency in their investigation.