SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Man stabbed to death for complaining about late newspaper delivery

A 51-year-old man has succumbed to his injuries after a delivery man attacked him in an argument over the timing of his newspaper delivery.

Man stabbed to death for complaining about late newspaper delivery
Photo: DPA

According to the police report, the man had often exchanged fierce words with the 42-year-old delivery man over the fact that his edition of the local Lüneburg newspaper never arrived in his post box at the time of day that he was expecting it.

In the late afternoon on Saturday another fight broke out between the two men after the delivery man again turned up late.

But this time the argument escalated, with the delivery man taking out a knife and repeatedly stabbing his customer in the upper body.

The wounded man’s 23-year-old relative saw the incident and rushed in to pull the attacker away. He was able to pin him down against the ground until the police arrived and arrested him.

Medics tried to resuscitate the stabbed man at the scene. But he died of his wounds shortly after in hospital.

The paper delivery man was brought in front of a judge on Sunday and was issued with a detention warrant.

SEE ALSO: Domino's Pizza to start robot delivery in Germany

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS