A shopper discovered an arachnophobe's worst nightmare in a packet of bananas in a supermarket on Saturday, the Hamburger Morgenpost reports.
A Brazilian wandering spider, also known as a banana spider, scuttled out of the packaged fruits while the customer was shopping.
Employees quickly closed off the area and called the police. A specialist in dangerous animals was then able to trap the eight-legged critter.
The Brazilian wandering spider uses its venomous bite and agility to catch prey in its natural habitat in South America.
Its poisonous bite can also be fatal to humans, according to the police.
No further creatures were discovered after the incident, but the entire banana delivery was taken off the shelves by staff.
The visit from this exotic creature follows news in October that two new species of spider have been discovered in Munich.
The zoropsidae and yellow sac spider have both come to Germany from the Mediterranean, and the yellow sac spider is the only spider in central Europe able to pierce the human skin and inject poison.
Fortunately, unlike the Brazilian wandering spider, their poison is not fatal but equivalent to a bee or wasp sting.