SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Man stabbed to death in Berlin party district

A man was stabbed to death on Saturday night in one of Berlin's busiest bar and club districts, police said on Sunday. The reasons for the knife attack remain unclear.

Man stabbed to death in Berlin party district
The junction of Revaler Straße and Warschauer Straße in Berlin-Friedrichshain. Photo: DPA

Police confirmed on Monday that the dead man was a 46-year-old Nigerian of no known address. An autopsy confirmed that the stabbing was the cause of death.

The man had collapsed outside a kebab stand on the corner of Revaler Straße and Warschauer Straße in the eastern district of Friedrichshain just after midnight, police said in a statement.

Investigators are now following up leads on the killing.

Party district

Revaler Straße's many bars and clubs – and adjacent all-night kebab stands – are especially popular with young students and party tourists in the capital.

Buildings on the RAW compound – formerly train repair sheds for the East German railway operator – host cobbled-together nightspots, a climbing tower and an indoor skate park.

The entrance to the RAW compound club district in Berlin. Photo: DPA

But the area has a dark side too, as it is well-known for street drug dealing and has seen violence in recent months.

A well-known punk band suffered a vicious knife attack there in August 2015 that left one of their musicians with a near fatal gash in his throat.

Despite an increased police presence in the area since the attack, drug dealing has continued on Revaler Straße almost uninterrupted.

SEE ALSO: Second shooting since Christmas in Berlin-Wedding

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS