On Saturday afternoon at around 3pm, the 20-year-old was smoking one of the electronic smokes in an e-cigarette shop in the town centre when the accident happened.
Police reported on Thursday that they believe he was there to buy an new battery and an evaporator head for his own e-cigarette.
He then tried the two new parts in his device in the shop. But as soon as he inhaled on the device, it exploded, burning and wounding his face and knocking several teeth out of his mouth.
The shop assistant called emergency services and the young man was immediately brought to hospital.