Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

March for Kurdish terror victims turns violent

Share this article

March for Kurdish terror victims turns violent
People help those wounded after Monday's explosion in Suruc. Photo: DPA
12:26 CEST+02:00
Police arrested six people in Berlin on Monday evening, as protests in solidarity with victims of a terrorist attack in Turkey turned violent.

Around 1,100 people assembled in the city's Kreuzberg district on Monday evening to march for the victims of a terrorist attack in the Kurdish town of Suruc near Turkey's Syrian border, reports the Berliner Zeitung (BZ).

Demonstrators gathered at around 7pm on Monday evening.

the Kurdish Students' Association posted on its Facebook page shortly after the attack, asking members to post where and when marches would be happening in their city.

Liveticker!!! LIVETICKER !!! LIVETICKER !!! Bitte kommentiert hier, wo und wann die Proteste gegen den Angriff in...

Posted by Verband der Studierenden aus Kurdistan e.V. (YXK) on Monday, 20 July 2015

Demonstrators in Berlin also used the event to protest against Turkish politics in the Syrian-Turkish border town.

While the march remained largely peaceful, six people were arrested.

Police told the BZ that some protesters threw stones and that those taken into custody would be charged with assault.

Around 250 officers were on duty during the demonstration.

Similar solidarity marches took place across Germany on Monday night, with more planned for Tuesday evening in cities including Munich, Kiel and Dresden.

Turkey blames Isis

Media reports suggest 30 people were killed in the blast outside a cultural centre where a group of activists were gathered inside.

The activists were discussing reconstruction of the nearby Syrian town of Kobani, which has been the scene of conflict between Kurdish forces and Isis militants in recent years but came back under Kurdish control earlier this year.

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu blamed the attack on the terrorist organisation Isis.

Davutoglu told a news conference in Ankara that Turkey "has taken and will continue to take all necessary measures against Islamic State," reports Reuters.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement