It was a warm late summer day in Munich in 2012. The woman, who was 75 years old at the time, had decided to get an ice cream at her favourite Italian ice cream parlour, where she had been a regular customer for years, reports the Süddeusche Zeitung.
The shop is well known for selling the classics like vanilla and strawberry, as well as sharper flavours including chocolate chilli and crispy rum.
But the old lady was about to get a shock to the senses of a totally different nature.
The terrace outside was full. Crowds had flocked to the cafe to enjoy some respite from the heat and after finishing their ice creams they threw their paper leftovers into a bin in front of the steps.
It was overflowing with plates and napkins clotted in sweet sticky cream.
Another group of regular guests at the cafe are visitors to Bavaria, who swarm in thousands around the state's hot spots in the late summer.
Wasps plague Munich's beer gardens, cafeterias and restaurants. The stew of gooey delights in the shop bin was too much for them to resist.
As the woman walked past, she heard the swarm of wasps buzzing beside her. Terrified, she started to run, hoping to find shelter inside.
But in her panic she forgot about the steps which she climbed every time she visited the shop.
She fell over, badly injuring herself in the process. The resulting pains, she says, have stayed with her until today. And due to a previous health condition she can't take pain killers to mitigate against the pain.
Now she is demanding compensation, arguing that the ice cream parlour did not adequately mark the steps. She also claims that the steps were in bad condition and were splintered in parts.
Neither party could agree upon a compensation agreement of €2,000 suggested by the judge.