Germany's news in English

Editions:  Europe · Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland

No Germans killed in Tunisia attack

Share this article

No Germans killed in Tunisia attack
Photo: DPA
13:58 CET+01:00
Officials said on Thursday that they do not believe any Germans were killed during the museum attack in the Tunisian capital of Tunis, contrasting prior reports. Isis has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Tunisian prime minister Habib Essid had said on Wednesday following the attack that tourists from Germany, Poland, Italy and Spain had been killed, but officials have since said that in fact, no Germans were dead.

Isis on Thursday claimed responsibility for an attack at Tunisia's Bardo Museum which left 20 foreign tourists dead, with the extremist group hailing the deadly shooting as a "blessed invasion".

The number of deaths resulting from the attack at the Bardo Museum where gunmen took tourists hostage was up to 23 as of Thursday afternoon.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel (CDU) offered her condolences for the victims on Thursday and pledged German support.

"We will do everything in our power to help Tunisia," Merkel said on Thursday in the German Parliament or Bundestag.

 
Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

From our sponsors

VIDEO: Three surprising facts that will make you want to visit Malta

Game of Thrones has ended but it lives on in Malta! Find out how and learn two more unexpected facts about this little archipelago in the middle of the Med.