SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Police nab Nuremberg station bomb hoaxer

Officers in Nuremberg arrested a man on Thursday evening after he called in a false bomb threat against the main train station

Police nab Nuremberg station bomb hoaxer
File photo of Nuremberg main station: Shutterstock

The suspect is a 50-year-old man from just outside Bavaria's second city, police said in a statement on Friday.

He was found at home and arrested after an his home phone number was showed on the caller display at the police station.

The man immediately admitted to the allegations against him, police said.

Large sections of the station were closed on Thursday evening due to the threat, the Augsburger Allgemeine reported.

Specialist bomb teams from the police searched the lockers in the station where the man had said the bomb was concealed.

A locker indicated by a sniffer dog was found to be empty and the alarm was lowered after around an hour.

The hoaxer, who suffers from a mental illness, said nothing about his motive for the crime before officers took him to a psychiatric clinic.

Prosecutors will now charge him with disturbing the peace by threatening a crime. He will also be made to pay the costs of the resulting police deployment.

The bomb threat against the station followed a similar threat made against the central branch of the Sparkasse bank in Erlangen on Wednesday.

A suspicious package turned out to be harmless, but police were unable to find the person who called in the threat.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS