Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Prosecutors mull new Oktoberfest terror probe

Share this article

Prosecutors mull new Oktoberfest terror probe
Bodies lie on the ground following the "Wiesn attack" of 1980. Photo: DPA
08:29 CET+01:00
State prosecutors are considering reopening their investigation into the 1980 bombing at Munich's Oktoberfest after new evidence emerged.

“If sufficient, concrete evidence of further perpetrators turn up, we will restart the investigation,” a spokesman for the federal prosecutor's office told the Süddeutsche Zeitung (SZ) on Monday.

The 1980 “Wiesn Attack” killed 13 people, among them the man who planted the bomb, 21-year-old Gundolf Köhler.

Now the victims' lawyer has petitioned for the case to be re-opened after he found a new witness to come forward.

SZ reported that prosecutors have questioned the woman and that she had named an accomplice in the crime.

Until recently, investigators believed that the bomber had acted alone, despite his ties to the far-right “Hoffmann military sports group”.

But the witness says she found flyers with an obituary of Köhler in the new suspect's locker before the bomber's name had been published.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement