SHARE
COPY LINK

POLICE

Two men charged after sex shop tantrum

Two men in Hagen have been charged with destruction of property after their rampage in a sex shop left the store owner with broken, unsellable vibrators.

Two men charged after sex shop tantrum
Photo: DPA

The men, aged 34 and 37, bought two sex films and were asked to wait in a cabin for them to be played, as the store owner attended to another customer.

“But the two men grew impatient, and demanded their money back from the store owner,” said Hagen police spokesperson Ulrich Hanke on Tuesday.

“They left, and came back after a few minutes to wreck the display, damaging the vibrator holders and rendering the sex toys unusable. ”

Hanke said the two vandals fled the scene, but were intercepted by police at the nearby rail station.

The two men initially denied having caused the damage, but security footage at the sex shop led to their charging.

The two men will now have to make statements to the state prosecutor, who will decide whether to pursue their case in court, or impose a fine, said Hanke.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

POLICE

German police under fire for using tracing app to find witnesses

German police drew criticism Tuesday for using an app to trace contacts from bars and restaurants in the fight against the pandemic as part of an investigation.

A barcode used for the Luca check-in app to trace possible Covid contacts at a Stuttgart restaurant.
A barcode used for the Luca check-in app to trace possible Covid contacts at a Stuttgart restaurant. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Marijan Murat

The case stemming from November last year began after the fatal fall of a man while leaving a restaurant in the western city of Mainz.

Police seeking possible witnesses made use of data from an app known as Luca, which was designed for patrons to register time spent in restaurants and taverns to track the possible spread of coronavirus.

Luca records the length of time spent at an establishment along with the patron’s full name, address and telephone number – all subject to Germany’s strict data protection laws.

However the police and local prosecutors in the case in Mainz successfully appealed to the municipal health authorities to gain access to information about 21 people who visited the restaurant at the same time as the man who died.

After an outcry, prosecutors apologised to the people involved and the local data protection authority has opened an inquiry into the affair.

“We condemn the abuse of Luca data collected to protect against infections,” said the company that developed the Luca app, culture4life, in a statement.

It added that it had received frequent requests for its data from the authorities which it routinely rejected.

Konstantin von Notz, a senior politician from the Greens, junior partners in the federal coalition, warned that abuse of the app could undermine public trust.

“We must not allow faith in digital apps, which are an important tool in the fight against Covid-19, to disappear,” he told Tuesday’s edition of Handelsblatt business daily.

SHOW COMMENTS