Salafist threatens US nuclear facility

DPA/The Local
DPA/The Local - [email protected] • 7 Aug, 2014 Updated Thu 7 Aug 2014 12:58 CEST
image alt text

German security services said on Thursday the risks posed by Islamist terrorists in the country remained “high” after one extremist threatened to bomb an American nuclear facility in the west of Germany.

The Federal Criminal Office said they were aware of a threat made by German Salafist Silvio K., who is believed to be fighting in Syria for ISIS.

But, the office, said there were "no indications of concrete attack plans or an impending attack".

Silvio has reportedly threatened to attack the Büchel facility near the western city of Koblenz, where US nuclear weapons are stored.

The Westdeutsche Allgemeine Zeitung (WAZ) reported on Thursday that security around the facility had been stepped up.

“We are working closely with the German authorities,” a spokesman for the US embassy in Berlin said.

An international arrest warrant was put out for Silvio in July.

Silvio was born in Saxony and lived in Essen and then Solingen in North Rhine-Westphalia. He is thought to be a member of the banned German Salafist group Millatu Ibrahim.

"He is a star of the Jihad scene and has between 5,000 to 10,000 Salafist supporters in Germany," terror export Guido Steinberg told WAZ. 

SEE ALSO: Baghdad suicide bomber was German

More

Comments

DPA/The Local 2014/08/07 12:58

Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also