SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Suitcase victims died from stab wounds

A man and woman whose bodies were found in two suitcases in a Stuttgart park over the weekend died from stab wounds and a beating, police said on Tuesday. Officers have released a picture of one of the suitcases and want its owner to come forward.

Suitcase victims died from stab wounds
The suitcase one of the victims was found in. Photo: DPA/Stuttgart Police

The suitcases were found hidden behind a wall in Stuttgart’s Schloßgarten by two barbecue-goers on Sunday evening who noticed a trail of blood.

An autopsy on Tuesday found the man, aged 50, and the woman, who has not yet been identified, were killed by stabbing and beating.

Police said the man was known to them and was also well-known among the homeless scene in Stuttgart.

They also believe the suitcases could have been in the park for several days before they were found.

Investigations of the 40-strong police team also show the two victims were killed in a different location before being taken to the park.

The image released shows a metallic blue suitcase with silver horses sprayed on it.

SEE ALSO: Barbecue-goers find two bodies in suitcases

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

ANTI-SEMITISM

Police deployed at German synagogue after bullet holes found

German police staged a major deployment at a synagogue in the western city of Essen on Friday after several bullet holes were found in the adjacent former rabbi's residence.

Police deployed at German synagogue after bullet holes found

Police said “four shots were fired from a loaded weapon” into the exterior of the home next to the city’s Old Synagogue but that no one was injured.

Officers were inspecting the site with sniffer dogs for any explosives.

Justice Minister Marco Buschmann said he was “shocked by this latest attack on Jewish life in Germany”.

“Anti-Semitism must have no place. It is our duty to protect Jewish life,” he tweeted.

Media reports said the shots were fired overnight and reported on Friday morning. They targeted a glass door at the entryway of the residence and two bullets pierced the glass.

State interior minister Herbert Reul told local media that the alleged assailant, a man, had been captured on a security camera but was still at large.

The incident came three years after a gunman killed two people in the eastern city of Halle after failing to storm a synagogue on Yom Kippur.

Before the attack, he had posted a racist, misogynistic and anti-Semitic manifesto online.

Germany in May reported a new record in the number of politically motivated crimes last year, including a nearly 29-percent jump in anti-Semitic crimes to 3,027.

Seven decades after the Holocaust in which the Nazi regime slaughtered six million Jews, the vast majority of the offences — 2,552 — were attributed to the far-right scene.

Essen’s Old Synagogue was built in the early 20th century but its interior was largely destroyed by the Nazis in the November 1938 pogrom.

It underwent a thorough restoration and reopened as an expanded Jewish Culture House for interfaith dialogue in 2010.

READ ALSO: ‘We will fight for our Germany’: Holocaust survivor issues warning to far right

SHOW COMMENTS