SHARE
COPY LINK
MOVE TO GERMANY COLLECTION

CRIME

Germany’s safest and most dangerous cities

Crime statistics published on Wednesday revealed Germany's most dangerous and safest cities. They also showed a sharp rise in child pornography and burglary offences.

Germany's safest and most dangerous cities
Photo: DPA

The 2013 national crime figures, which were leaked to Welt newspaper earlier this week, show just under six million crimes were recorded in Germany last year.

When broken down to the number of crimes per 100,000 inhabitants, Frankfurt am Main rates as the most dangerous city in Germany with 16,292 crimes per 100,000 people. Its high ranking was put down to its red light district and the large airport.

Cologne was second in the list followed by Berlin and Düsseldorf.

In Bavaria there were just 5,073 crimes per 10,000 inhabitants, almost 40 percent less than in North Rhine-Westphalia. Baden-Württemberg was the second safest state with 5,450 crimes.

And Munich ranked as the safest large city in Germany. It had half the crime rate of other German cities with 7,400 offences per 100,000 inhabitants.

The crime figures, presented by interior minister Thomas de Mazière on Wednesday, also revealed burglaries had reached their highest level for 15 years with 150,000 domestic break-ins recorded, a rise of 3.7 percent on 2012.

Oliver Malchow, head of police union the GdP, called for more officers to be recruited to tackle the increase. “We have too few people, with too little time to work intensively on burglaries,” he said.

The figures also showed a 28 percent rise in child pornography offences with 4,144 recorded incidents.

Crime fell overall by 0.6 percent, while the number of non-German suspects rose by seven percent.

SEE ALSO: Officer puts neo-Nazi stickers in police van

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS