Broadcast last Monday, it showed an undercover reporter working in several outlets of the franchise run by Yi-Ko Holding which is responsible for 91 of Germany’s 671 Burger Kings.
The show alleged the franchise was breaching the fast food giant’s own hygiene guidelines. It claimed raw and perishable goods were simply relabelled when they became out of date.
“Unlike the adverts, the meat doesn’t always come hot from the grill but is kept warm for hours,” RTL said.
In one Munich Burger King featured on the programme workers were not paid overtime and were denied holiday pay.
It also showed staff who cleaned the toilets also working in the kitchen wearing the same set of clothes.
Following the report, Burger King closed two of its restaurants and began special inspections on Friday morning of its outlets.
Its Facebook page has become filled with apologies in the last week and on Monday it posted a statement saying a new management team had been put in place at Yi-Ko Holding with boss Ergün Yildiz leaving.
Burger King’s managing director in Germany Andreas Bork also posted a video on Monday on Facebook where he apologized. He said Burger King would do “everything... to win back trust”.
He added that all decisions made by Yi-Ko’s new management would first be checked by Burger King.
SEE ALSO: Is this Germany's biggest burger?