SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Daughter kills mum, lives with body for two weeks

A daughter strangled her mother to death with a washing line in Munich and lived next to the body for almost two weeks. She was only caught when her mother's best friend contacted police.

Daughter kills mum, lives with body for two weeks
The woman was killed with a washing line. Photo: DPA

Christine K. lived alongside her mother's body in her apartment in the Unterhaching area of Munich for 13 days after she allegedly killed her.

The 40-year-old told police she had wanted to kill herself, but she strangled her mother first with the washing line.

Police found the body of her mother Karin in the apartment after gaining entry on Saturday. They arrested Christine at the scene.

A good friend of the victim had contacted the police after several attempts to get in touch with her friend had failed.

READ MORE Munich news here

She described her as generous and warm-hearted, but said there had been problems between Karin and her daughter, who moved back to live with her mother in 2012.

“She was such a wonderful person. But she was too nice to her daughter,” she told the Munich Abendzeitung on Tuesday.

The mother and daughter had argued over money, which Karin had lent to Christine, who was trying to pay off debts, according to the report.

Karin’s best friend said she was worried as soon as Christine moved back in to the flat. “I was uneasy about it right from the outset,” she told the Abendzeitung.

Neighbours reported hearing shouting and raised voices coming from the apartment.  

The friend raised the alarm after her friend failed to contact her for several days.

Munich police said in a statement on Monday that the alleged perpetrator had admitted to the crime, saying she had wanted to kill herself afterwards but was unable to do it.

She is being held by police and has been charged with murder. 

SEE ALSO: Mother gagged and buried in concrete

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS