Advertisement

Naked sledging race nipped in the bud

Share this article

Naked sledging race nipped in the bud
Photo: DPA
15:19 CET+01:00
The infamous naked sledging competition in the Harz mountains, which thousands of people have been waiting for since the last icy run in February, has been cancelled for 2013 over safety fears, it was reported on Friday.

More spectators turned up this year than people actually live in the town of Braunlage where the event has been held since 2009, leading to concerns about crowd control.

The striptease-cum-sporting event has been steadily spiralling into a logistical nightmare as it attracted ever-growing numbers of gawping naked sledging fans.

The problem peaked this February when around 25,000 spectators overran the otherwise sleepy Lower Saxony town.

Organisers at radio station 89.0 RTL were overwhelmed by the hour-long traffic jams of thousands waiting to catch an eyeful of 30 naked participants stripping before sliding down the mountainside on sledges.

Click here for a photo gallery of race from this and last year.

"When we get visitor numbers which are five times more than the inhabitants of the location, we've simply reached our logistical limits," head of 89.0 RTL Mike Bröhl told Die Welt newspaper on Friday.

"It's a real shame," Christian Klamt, head of tourism in Braunlage told the paper, adding that the event had been a great advertisement for the Harz tourist area.

But Bröhl is hoping that naked sledgers will once again grace the slopes of Braunlage.

"We'll have a break in 2013 and think about how we can continue this one-of-a-kind and wonderful event," he said.

The Local/jlb

Share this article

Advertisement

From our sponsors

Kickstart your coding career in tech-savvy Berlin

Who says you need to have a programming background to be a part of Berlin’s booming tech startup scene?

Advertisement
Advertisement
9,055 Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement