SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Woman in coma drank poisoned Capri Sun

A married couple from Bremen fell seriously ill after drinking poisoned Capri Sun fruit drinks. Police are now treating the case as attempted murder, according to newspaper reports.

Woman in coma drank poisoned Capri Sun
Photo: DPA

A woman, 54, is in a coma after she and her husband, 56, were rushed to hospital in the city of Bremen in northwest Germany last week with serious poisoning. They had both been drinking from resealable 330ml fruit drink pouches, which police said had been tampered with, wrote Bild daily newspaper late on Friday.

“We found several drink pouches in the house. Two had been drunk, a further package also containing the harmful substance was unopened,” a police spokesman told the paper. “In the Capri Sun juice a substance was found which clearly doesn’t belong there.”

The woman had bought the drinks, which police believe were tampered with afterwards. Although symptoms developed immediately after the couple ingested the poison, doctors initially thought they had both suffered strokes, wrote the paper.

All signs point towards attempted murder, said police. “The murder squad is investigating,” police spokesman Dirk Siemering told Der Spiegel magazine on Friday.

Police did not provide details of the type of poison used and are now hoping the man will soon be well enough to shed some light on the case, wrote the magazine.

Drink manufacturer Sisi-Werke spoke of a criminal act. “It’s definitely not a quality defect,” a spokeswoman told the magazine, and confirmed that the drinks left the factory intact.

The Local/jlb

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS