Woman in coma drank poisoned Capri Sun
The Local · 21 Jul 2012, 10:17
Published: 21 Jul 2012 10:17 GMT+02:00
A woman, 54, is in a coma after she and her husband, 56, were rushed to hospital in the city of Bremen in northwest Germany last week with serious poisoning. They had both been drinking from resealable 330ml fruit drink pouches, which police said had been tampered with, wrote Bild daily newspaper late on Friday.
“We found several drink pouches in the house. Two had been drunk, a further package also containing the harmful substance was unopened," a police spokesman told the paper. "In the Capri Sun juice a substance was found which clearly doesn’t belong there.”
The woman had bought the drinks, which police believe were tampered with afterwards. Although symptoms developed immediately after the couple ingested the poison, doctors initially thought they had both suffered strokes, wrote the paper.
All signs point towards attempted murder, said police. "The murder squad is investigating," police spokesman Dirk Siemering told Der Spiegel magazine on Friday.
Police did not provide details of the type of poison used and are now hoping the man will soon be well enough to shed some light on the case, wrote the magazine.
Drink manufacturer Sisi-Werke spoke of a criminal act. “It’s definitely not a quality defect,” a spokeswoman told the magazine, and confirmed that the drinks left the factory intact.