The 54-year-old's body was discovered last Thursday. “The room where he lived was completely neglected,” a police spokesman said.
“The autopsy on Friday showed that the man starved to death,” Klaus Ziehe, spokesman for the Braunschweig state prosecutor, told the Salzgitter Zeitung newspaper on Monday.
The man lived with his mother in an apartment block. A spokesman for the town authorities said he was in need of care, and that his brother had been named his custodian.
Police said that both the mother and the brother have been detained and charged with manslaughter by neglect.
Ziehe said there was no indication yet that he had been starved deliberately. “The situation indicates clearly that the care went out of control,” he said. “If you haven't seen it yourself, you can't see how that could be possible.”