Stinky rubber boot fire puts 50 in hospital

Dozens of people had to go to hospital after a pile of rubber boots caught on fire and gave off noxious fumes in a warehouse in northern Germany.

Stinky rubber boot fire puts 50 in hospital
Photo: DPA

Fire crews raced to the warehouse in Heeslingen, Lower Saxony where they found the conflagration had been largely extinguished by the sprinkler system. But they had to call 25 ambulances to deal with people suffering from the stinky boot fumes.

“It didn’t burn terribly, but it stank terribly, a spokesman for the police told the Süddeutsche Zeitung on Friday.

Hospitals treated 50 staff from the agricultural machinery dealership, where the fire had broken out, while more people were treated on site. At least seven people were kept in hospital overnight after the fire on Thursday evening.

The Local/hc

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.